Thursday 3 October 2013

Fast and lightweight - European sport in the mountains.(my perceptions)

Below is an article I have posted on www.Facebook/Mountainexploits.com just on some of my observations whilst working in Europe this year, about how people are enjoying the physical sports in the mountains and how the trail running element is really popular with all.

Fast and lightweight - European sport in the mountains.(my perceptions)

This year I took great interest in seeing the European approach to sport in the mountains, from winter ski touring to summer trail running. I saw all ages and types of people, enjoying just being involved in their chosen sport. They are keen to have the latest piece of kit and usually it's very lightweight.

Are the French leading the way in “moving lightweight” in the mountains?

Winter. Whilst working in the Pyrenees in March, I saw ski tourers with rigs that were uber-lightweight; Dynafit ski boots, bindings and skis that looked like feathers, a full rig under 2.5/3kg. With the aim of stripping every ounce to lighten the load for the climb, Dynafit touring has a thoroughly lightweight element, and some of their binding products are amazing. Ski touring in Bavaria I saw Diamar products – still lightweight, but I did think the German/Austrian market compared more with the UK market place.

Summer. In summer, 'Ultra trail marathons' attract large numbers of people wanting to travel lighter and faster in the mountains, so more people want to be part of this scene.mmSalomon (being French) proves to be a popular brand, and they are fast becoming the leaders in the lightweight trail running market. The company started in 1947 producing ski equipment, now, using S-Lab development, produces top end ski equipment alongside Salomon running products, including its’ fantastic range of trail running shoes, technical clothing, and body hugging hydration and storage vests, just see the new S-Lab skin 12.
I saw a real trend in popularity towards compression clothing and some of the benefits it offers, almost every runner/enthusiast I met was using compression socks and this will be my next area of reading.

Movement. European summer weather conditions in the mountains often leads to dry rocky conditions. On longer days, and to help with terrain, most runners were using a light weight set of poles to aid stability, utilising quick footwork moving from rock-top to rock-top, and being able to literally move 'over' the terrain. A colleague of mine asked is there a market to introduce and teach movement techniques over this type of ground?

I have a great interest and passion in the UK fell running scene – I ain't no racing snake but love getting out and travelling light on a run over the tops, so I really liked the look of what I saw in Europe. However, I think that both the super snow conditions and sunshine in winter and the sunny hot summer weather helped though!

With that, I am now looking forward to another great winter season, the first half in Bavaria teaching cross-country skiing and snowshoeing, followed by the second half in the highlands of Scotland.